Nancy Anderson, Esq.
Director, Pro Bono
Nancy J. Anderson, Esq., director of Legal Mobilization and Pro Bono for the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, is responsible for the overall design, structure, strategy and implementation of large-scale impact civil rights projects, which utilize pro bono resources, technology, on-the-ground support and legal assistance. Current projects include the Loan Modification Scam Prevention Network, Election Protection and the Parental Readiness and Empowerment Program. She is also responsible for working with law firms and corporate legal departments to place all of the Lawyers’ Committee’s civil rights pro bono matters, including impact/class action litigation, transactional matters, “mega” projects and public policy. She works closely with board members, legal staff and her counterparts at law firms and corporate legal departments to ensure strong relationships between the Lawyers’ Committee and the private bar.
Anderson earned her J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law, where she completed a joint degree with a Masters of Arts in Sociology from the University of Virginia Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. A native of Oklahoma, she received a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from the University of Oklahoma. Before joining the Lawyers’ Committee in 1999, Anderson worked for the American Bar Association where she was the director of the Steering Committee on the Unmet Legal Needs of Children and a staff attorney for the Commission on Homelessness and Poverty and the Center for Children and the Law. Previously, she worked for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services on welfare legal matters. Anderson is a frequent speaker at conferences and law schools on pro bono and working with volunteer law firms. She is a member of the Virginia and District of Columbia bars.
Memberships, Affiliations & Other Distinctions
- American Bar Association
- Frequent Panelist – ABA/NLADA Equal Justice Conference and Pro Bono Institute
- Guest Lecturer at Several Law Schools
- Member of Planning Committee for ABA/NLADA Equal Justice Conference
- Member of ABA Working Group to Revise ABA Pro Bono Standards
- American Dream? American Reality! A Report on Race, Ethnicity and the Law in the United States (Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law)
- Answering the Challenge of Brown v. Board of Education in the 21st Century: How Lawyers and Advocates Can Make a Difference (Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law)
- Global Injustice: An Overview of Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xenophobia, and Related Intolerance (Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law)
- Make a Difference in a Child’s Life: 25 Projects for Lawyers (American Bar Association)
- Not in My Backyard: A Primer for Lawyers and Advocates (American Bar Association)
- Facts About Children and the Law (American Bar Association)
- Unified Family Courts: A Progress Report (American Bar Association)
- District of Columbia