Confirm Kristen Clarke
Kristen Clarke’s record as a champion of civil rights for all people in America is unassailable. She has dedicated her entire life and career to the pursuit of equal justice under the law.
Kristen began her career in the Civil Rights Division at the U.S. Department of Justice—the same office she has now been nominated to lead. She had subsequent roles as chief of the Civil Rights Bureau in the New York State Attorney General’s office, and leadership roles at the NAACP Legal Defense Fund and most recently as president and executive director of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Right Under Law, one of the nation’s leading civil rights legal organizations.
With her vast experience, Kristen Clarke is among the most qualified candidates ever nominated to lead civil rights enforcement for the nation. She has expertise on a wide range of key civil rights issues, including voting rights, hate crimes, human trafficking, disability rights, fair housing, education, employment, and police-community relations.
Kristen has earned a reputation for being pragmatic, a strong leader, and a consensus builder with a track record of achieving results. She has a history of securing landmark agreements, working collaboratively with law enforcement to promote transparency and improved community relations, and engaging corporate leaders on issues of diversity and accountability. Her work has helped to strengthen these important American institutions while also serving communities deeply impacted by racial discrimination.
Kristen would be the first woman in history to be confirmed by the Senate to lead the Civil Rights Division at the Justice Department. If confirmed, she has vowed to work tirelessly to make equality for all a reality.
With her impressive record, Kristen Clarke has support from across the civil rights community, the broader legal and business communities, Jewish and other faith groups, and some of the nation’s largest law enforcement groups. With a growing national consciousness about the impact of racism, extremism, and hate, they know that she is the best person to lead the Civil Rights Division at this critical time in our nation’s history.
- Lawyers’ Committee Letter of Support for Kristen Clarke for AAG for Civil Rights
- LC Executive Committee and Former Chairs Letter of Support
- Board of Directors and Honorary Lifetime Trustees of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law Letter of Support
- Lawyers’ Committee Affiliates Letter of Support
- Over 40 Police Chiefs and Sheriffs Letter of Support for Clarke
- Over 150 Columbia Law Alums Letter of Support for Clarke
- Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights and over 100 advocacy organizations
- 102 Interfaith and Community-based organizations Letter of Support
- The American Jewish Community Letter of Support
- 70 Jewish Local, State, and National Organizations Support for Kristen Clarke to be Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights
- National Council of Jewish Women
- National Association of Women Law Enforcement Executives
- International Association of Chiefs of PoliceLetter of Support
- The National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives Letter of Support for Kristen Clarke
- Letter of Support from Southern Poverty Law Center Action Fund and 53 organizations
- Over 1800 Lawyers for Good Government Letter of Support
- Managing Partners Letter of Support for Kristen Clarke
- People for the American Way Letter of Support for Kristen Clarke
- Individuals and Families Impacted by Hate Crimes Letter of Support
- Gender Justice Letter in Support of Kristen Clarke
- Letter of Support for Kristen Clarke from the NAACP
- Constitutional Accountability Center Letter of Support for Kristen Clarke
- American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) Letter of Support
- National Education Association Letter of Support for Kristen Clarke
- Alliance for Justice Letter of Support
- National Center for Lesbian Rights Letter of Support for Kristen Clarke
- NAACP LDF Letter of Support
- General Counsels Letter of Support for Kristen Clarke
- National Panhellenic (Divine 9) Letter of Support for Kristen Clarke
- AAPI Organizations Letter of Support for Clarke
- Progressive Prosecutors Letter of Support for Clarke
- Congressional Black Caucus Letter of Support for Clarke
- NBA Letter of Support for Clarke
- Utility Workers Union Letter of Support for Clarke
- Union for Reform Judaism Letter of Support for Clarke
- MCCA Letter of Support for Clarke
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice Letter of Support for Kristen Clarke
Articles & Press
Biden DOJ Pick Aims to Revive Civil Rights Office Post-Trump (Bloomberg Law)
Meet The Voting Rights Heavy-Hitters That Biden Has Picked To Lead DOJ (Talking Points Memo)
A New Vision for the Department of Justice (Shondaland)