In July 2018, the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law – along with a coalition of other civil rights groups – joined Students for Fair Admissions (SFFA) v. Harvard and submitted an amicus brief to support Harvard’s motion for summary judgement in the lawsuit. This coalition, which represents a cohort of racially diverse applicants, current students, and alumni at Harvard College, offers expertise to assist the court in its ruling.
The coalition was given special “amicus plus” status, which will allow the represented students to participate in oral argument and submit evidence, greatly enhancing their voices beyond a typical amicus brief.
In the amicus brief, the coalition asserts that ethno-racial diversity is crucial to students; not only educationally, but also personally and professionally. It also explains that Harvard’s current admissions policy is in compliance with the Supreme Court in that it does not treat race as the primary consideration for admission, and that Harvard has a vested interest in promoting greater representation of, and diversity within, students of color through continued consideration of race as part of a holistic admissions process.
Anti-affirmative action group Students for Fair Admissions originally brought this lawsuit against Harvard in 2014. It challenges Harvard’s race-conscious holistic admissions policy under claims that the policy intentionally discriminates against Asian American students and violates Title VI of the Civil Rights Act.
- Amicus brief: Memorandum of Amici Curiae in Support Of Defendants Motion for Summary Judgment on Remaining Counts II, III, V in Students for Fair Admissions, Inc., Plaintiff, v. President and Fellows Of Harvard College (Harvard Corporation), Defendant.
- Civil Rights Groups File Brief in Support of Race Conscious Admissions at Harvard
- Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law Responds to DOJ’s Attack on Racial Diversity in Harvard Case
- Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law Takes New Action to Defend Interests of Asian American Minority Students in Harvard Affirmative Action Lawsuit
- Harvard Students Provide Testimony in SFFA v. Harvard, Defend Race-Conscious Holistic Admissions
- Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law to Deliver Closing Arguments in SFFA v. Harvard
- (CNN) The Asian-American case against Harvard: What to watch for
- (CNN) Harvard students to testify as affirmative action trial nears end
- (Slate) Affirmative Action Is About to Face a Judicial Assault
- (Reuters) Harvard University accused of bias against Asian-Americans at trial