Program Coordinator and Legal Assistant Position
The Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law (“Lawyers’ Committee”), one of the nation’s leading civil rights organizations based in Washington D.C., seeks a collaborative, detail-oriented and highly effective individual to serve as Program Coordinator for the Records Assistance Program and Legal Assistant for the Economic Justice Project. The Records Assistance Program will provide eligible individuals with pro bono legal assistance to seal, expunge or correct their criminal records. This individual will coordinate the Records Assistance Program and provide legal assistance to the Economic Justice Project under the supervision of the Economic Justice Project Director and staff.
The position is full-time and is based in Washington, D.C.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Director of Economic Justice and other staff with the overall management and administration of the Records Assistance Program, including:
- Conducting outreach to volunteers and advocacy organizations;
- Managing and updating the pro bono database, including tracking matters;
- Providing pro bono volunteers technical and administrative assistance;
- Handling inquiries from class members;
- Assisting with the development of training presentations and guides for pro bono attorneys; and
- Coordinating with partner organizations.
- Perform basic legal research with minimal instruction and provide general litigation support, including formatting and preparing legal documents for filings and maintaining files of litigation matters;
- Arrange travel and accommodations for project staff;
- Manage email groups, collaborative documents, and meeting agendas and minutes;
- Coordinate mailings and related activities; and
- Provide general administrative support, including mail retrieval, photocopying and scanning, scheduling conference calls, reserving conference rooms, filing, etc.
Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or two or more years of work experience as a program assistant, legal assistant, or program coordinator
- Commitment to civil rights and racial justice
- Excellent organization, communication, interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Mastery of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Experience working in diverse environments
- Familiarity with law firms, law school clinics, or legal services/public interest organizations preferred
- Prior experience with database use and maintenance preferred
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to Podio. No calls will be accepted. The position will remain open until filled and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Salary and benefits are competitive for a nonprofit legal organization.
The Lawyers’ Committee does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibility, personal appearance, genetic information, matriculation, political affiliation, or any other status protected under law.
We strongly encourage candidates of color and candidates from underrepresented communities to apply.
Accessibility Assistance: Although calls will not be accepted regarding questions about the position, if you are an individual with a disability and need assistance completing the online application, please call 202-662-8600 and ask for an applicant accommodation or send an email with the subject line “Applicant Accommodation” to [email protected].