The Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law (“Lawyers’ Committee”), one of the nation’s leading civil rights organizations based in Washington D.C., seeks a collaborative, detail-oriented and highly organized individual to serve as Legal Assistant for the Voting Rights Project. The Voting Rights Project focuses on the protection of the rights of minority voters throughout the country. It acts through advocacy, programs in coalition with national, state and local partners, and litigation. The Legal Assistant will provide overall organizational support to the Voting Rights Project for all aspects of its work.
The position is full-time and is based in Washington, D.C.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the co-Directors of the Voting Rights Project and other staff with the overall management and administration of the Voting Rights Project, including:
- Performing basic legal research with minimal instruction and provide general litigation support, including formatting and preparing legal documents for filings and maintaining files of litigation matters;
- Managing list serves, collaborative documents, and meeting agendas and minutes;
- Providing general administrative support, including arranging travel and accommodations;
- Preparing and editing internal and external reports;
- Coordinating and drafting mass mailings;
- Aiding staff in coordination with grass-root and partner organizations;
- Aiding in the organization and coordination of external meetings and convenings; and
- Updating Voting Rights Group and Election Protection website pages
Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or two or more years of work experience as a program assistant, legal assistant, or program coordinator
- Experience conducting legal and/or factual research
- Commitment to civil rights and racial justice
- Excellent organization, oral and written communication, interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Mastery of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Experience working in diverse environments
- Prior experience with database use and maintenance preferred
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to https://podio.com/webforms/20182028/1373809. No calls will be accepted. The position will remain open until filled and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Salary and benefits are competitive for a nonprofit legal organization.
The Lawyers’ Committee does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibility, personal appearance, genetic information, matriculation, political affiliation, or any other status protected under law.
We strongly encourage candidates of color and candidates from underrepresented communities to apply.
Accessibility Assistance: Although calls will not be accepted regarding questions about the position, if you are an individual with a disability and need assistance completing the online application, please call 202-662-8600 and ask for an applicant accommodation or send an email with the subject line “Applicant Accommodation” to [email protected].